Participate in the Tradition of Volunteering
- Approximately 109 million American adults volunteer annually that's 56% of all adults.
- Volunteers contribute an average of 3.5 hours per week totaling 20 billion hours with an estimated dollar value of $225 billion.
- 59% of teenagers volunteer an average of 3.5 hours per week that's 13.3 million volunteers totaling 2.4 billion hours at a total value of $7.7 billion.
The nonprofit sector cannot take the place of government programs, nor can it single handedly cure the ills and disparities of society. But each of us can make a difference in a small way, in our own sphere, and can find ways to help that will make our efforts worth the time and trouble we invest in them.
Some of the Best Reasons to Volunteer
Some of the best reasons to give are the ones you may not have considered the ones that make it worth your while to go that extra step. People who have spent time volunteering for a cause report that they get back in satisfaction and joy more than they ever expend in inconvenience or effort what you get back is immeasurable. You'll also receive these benefits:
- Volunteering makes you feel needed.
- Volunteering can lead to learning new skills.
- Volunteering can help you deal with some of your personal problems.
- Volunteering helps you meet new people and breaks down barriers of misunderstanding, mistrust and fear.
- Volunteering can create new contacts which may help your business or career.
It's What in the World You Can Do!
You might be thinking, "The little bit that I can do will never help much!" or "What in the world can I do?" If you've ever spent ten minutes reading a book to a lonely child, you know that even that small amount of compassion and attention can make a world of difference. No one person can solve the world's problems, but what little you do can make your little corner of the world or one far away from yours a happier, healthier, safer place to live for those who need your help. Each of us can right a wrong, fill a plate, visit a shut in or clean up a park and that does make a difference for us all!
Content provided by: